Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Ugly Ex

I don't know why this has been on my mind today but I wonder... why is it that girls seem to be happy if they find out their ex is dating or got married to someone less attractive?  It seems that I hear my friends (and sometimes me) feel better knowing that their ex ended up with someone that wasn't as attractive as they are.  To me that makes no sense! Especially if the ex dumped you!  If a guy dumps you and ends up with someone uglier... shouldn't that make you feel bad cause even though you were prettier than that other girl, you weren't interesting enough to keep him on the hook!?  It seems that men value appearance quite substantially so if they found someone less attractive and chose to marry them... that just means your personality wasn't enough to keep them around even if you were gorgeous! It just doesn't make much sense to me.

The truth is that in the end... it shouldn't matter who they end up with... if it's not you, it doesn't matter who!

1 comment:

  1. I think it gives the appeal that the other person is now "worse off" and so that makes one feel better. I think your question about someone dumping you and ends up with someone uglier makes rational sense. Unfortunately, we're not rational creatures. :-) We still want to justify that we're not with that person, and so when we see a former flame with someone unattractive, we say to ourselves, "ah, well I'm much better off without him/her because look where s/he ended up."

    Of course, if that person isn't with you, and they end up with someone, it seems MORE logical to be happy for them.

    ReplyDelete